About the Episode
In this episode of The Hope + Help Project, Christine Chappell interviews author and bible teacher Nancy Guthrie about her book, What Grieving People Wish You Knew about What Really Helps (and What Really Hurts). During this conversation Nancy discusses:
- the raw emotions people face as they experience grief.
- how to compassionately and confidently interact with those who are mourning the loss of a loved one.
- how grief can become a hurdle in everyday relationships.
- cautions about what not to say to someone who is grieving
- possible conversation starters that demonstrate a proper esteem of the loss.
- misguided assumptions supporters can sometimes make about grieving people.
- the pain that is felt when friends and family keep their distance.
- why “spiritual sentimentality” is too flimsy to offer real hope in the midst of unbearable pain.
About the Guest
Nancy Guthrie teaches the Bible at her home church, Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Franklin, Tennessee, as well as at conferences around the country and internationally, including her Biblical Theology Workshops for Women. She is the host of the Help Me Teach the Bible podcast from the Gospel Coalition and the author of numerous books, including Even Better than Eden and Saints and Scoundrels in the Story of Jesus. She and her husband are cohosts of the GriefShare video series and lead Respite Retreats for couples who have faced the death of a child.
When someone we know is grieving, we want to help. But sometimes we stay away or stay silent, afraid that we will do or say the wrong thing, that we will hurt instead of help.
In this straightforward and practical book, Nancy Guthrie provides us with the insight we need to confidently interact with grieving people. Drawing upon the input of hundreds of grieving people, as well as her own experience of grief, Nancy offers specifics on what to say and what not to say, and what to do and what to avoid. Tackling touchy topics like talking about heaven, navigating interactions on social media, and more, this book will equip readers to support those who are grieving with wisdom and love.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.
*Amazon affiliate links are used for books featured on this webpage, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support!