About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Dr. Charles Hodges about his book, The Christian Counselor’s Medical Desk Reference. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What are some general guidelines a biblical counselor can use as they care for individuals who have been given a psychiatric diagnosis?
• Why is it important to think carefully about the dynamic between medicine and the doctrine of scriptural sufficiency?
• When is it appropriate for a biblical counselor consult their counselee’s medical doctor?
• How can a biblical counselor care for someone who is labeled with obsessive compulsive disorder?
• Why do diagnoses of schizophrenia seem to be on the rise?
• How might a biblical counselor care for someone who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia?
About the Guest
Dr. Charles Hodges, MD, is a family physician. He is a graduate of Indiana School of Medicine and also received an MA in Counseling and MA in Religion from Liberty University. He is the executive director of Vision of Hope, a counselor and instructor at Faith Biblical Counseling Ministry, and a fellow for the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors (ACBC). He is the author of Good Mood, Bad Mood: Hope for Depression and Bipolar Disorder, a contributing author of Caring for the Souls of Children, and editor of The Christian Counselor’s Medical Desk Reference, 2nd Edition. He and his wife, Helen, have four children, thirteen grandchildren, and one great-granddaughter.
Do you get anxious when you have to make a decision? Do you overthink, overtalk, and overanalyze? When anxiety surrounds every decision, the result can be decision-making paralysis. Counselor Michael Gembola explores this common struggle and then points to the peace that comes from knowing God as your refuge and ever present help in trouble. Learning to trust God, even when the path is not clear, will give you courage to move forward one step at a time.
When you’re faced with decisions both big and small, God offers you something better than certainty and the absence of risk. He promises to be with you. And when you allow the Good Shepherd to lead, you will find that he uses times of decision-making to make you more peaceful and become a better steward of the opportunities in front of you.
Anxious About Decisions will help you learn to approach decisions more confidently with a conscience shaped by God’s Word and values shaped by God’s heart. Learn to undertake decisions in the context of the community of believers and your identity as God’s child.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.