About the Episode
In this episode of The Hope + Help Project, Christine Chappell interviews author/pastor Mark Vroegop about his book, Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament. During the conversation, Mark discusses:
- his family’s personal story of tragic loss.
- how the God-given language of lament offers hope and help in sorrowful seasons.
- how lament provided his family and church community an outlet for their pains to be voiced.
- key components of biblical lament.
- what biblical lament isn’t.
- practical steps for traveling by faith through grief and sorrow.
- encouragements on how to cling to biblical hope, even when we’ve lost all sense of it.
About the Guest
Mark Vroegop is the lead pastor of College Park Church in Indianapolis, Indiana. He is a conference speaker, a council member with the Gospel Coalition, a trustee of Cedarville University, and the author of Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy. Mark blogs at markvroegop.com.
Lament is how we bring our sorrow to God—but it is a neglected dimension of the Christian life for many Christians today. We need to recover the practice of honest spiritual struggle that gives us permission to vocalize our pain and wrestle with our sorrow. Lament avoids trite answers and quick solutions, progressively moving us toward deeper worship and trust.
Exploring how the Bible—through the psalms of lament and the book of Lamentations—gives voice to our pain, this book invites us to grieve, struggle, and tap into the rich reservoir of grace and mercy God offers in the darkest moments of our lives.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.