About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Lauren Whitman about her mini-book, Mom Guilt: Escaping Its Strong Hold. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What are some ways that mom-guilt might manifest in the everyday life of a mother?
• How does mom guilt differ from true guilt?
• How can a mother’s view of her personal limitations influence her feelings of mom guilt, and how does God’s Word reorient our perspective in this area?
• How does the gospel ease the pressure mom’s might feel to be “supermom?”
• What role does the “comparison trap” play when it comes to the experience of mom guilt?
• Why is it true that fear may sometimes be at the root of mom guilt?
• What role does Christian community, particularly in the local church, play in the life of a woman who is wrestling
with feelings of mom guilt?
• What are some immediate practical steps a mother could take to begin to address the mom guilt she’s feeling?
About the Guest
Lauren Whitman, MA, is a counselor and faculty member at the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF), where she has served for over a decade. She also serves as the developmental editor of the Journal of Biblical Counseling and is the author of A Painful Past: Healing and Moving Forward, A Biblical Counseling Process, and the minibook Mom Guilt. Whitman, her husband, and their two children make their home in the Philadelphia area.
Do you feel like you’re failing as a mom? Are you plagued by a sense of inadequacy and feel like you’re constantly missing the mark? These feelings describe mom guilt—a surprisingly common experience for modern moms.
Counselor Lauren Whitman helps moms identify mom guilt and understand the common roots of it that contribute to a sense of deficiency that many mothers live with. She helps readers think biblically about how God helps us escape from mom guilt by accepting our limitations, rejecting worldly standards, and embracing the freedom of faithful living before God.
Moms: God sees more than failure in you—and he wants you to see it too so you can be encouraged.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.